Since I started querying agents who take my genre last Thursday, I’ve had requests come sandwiched by rejections: rejection, partial request, rejection, full request, rejection.
Unlikely as it may be, I’m hoping the trend continues, because that ratio would be pretty darn good.
As you’d expect, the requests made me feel like the Success Kid (see the meme I’m sticking in this post), but the rejection letters reminded me I’m not an adorable toddler with sand on his chubby fist. Rather, I’m an adult with a novel that, statistically speaking, has a very low chance of landing an agent. So, I sent off the partial and full manuscript as requested, but I’m trying to stay grounded by focusing on my “day job” and continuing my efforts to polish my manuscript.
By polishing, I mean going at it with a power sander. My word count when I sent my queries last Thursday was 82,000. It’s now 79,000. It’s surprising how much more streamlining I can do while working on a tenth draft. I didn’t think the word count fluctuations mentioned in my fist-ever blog post would stay true for so long—above 80k, below 80k, and repeat.
It’s almost time to cry like Peter Parker.